October is just around the corner, which means beer festivals are close. The world-famous Oktoberfest beer festival is a major German cultural tradition that has been celebrated in Munich, Germany since 1810. Today, Oktoberfest is celebrated around the world, inspiring other cities to host their own beer festivals all throughout the entire month of October.
Grovetoberfest is the largest beer festival in South Florida, featuring more than 500 local craft beers, live entertainment, and games. The event takes place on October 13, 2018 and lasts from 2:00PM – 7:00PM. Grovetoberfest and other beer festivals are sure to attract crowds of locals and tourists. As a result, the possibility of accidents involving drunk driving can loom over the festivities.
During festivities such as these, drunk driving often occurs, and Florida DUI laws are strict for offenders.
If convicted for a DUI, you may face criminal penalties including license suspension or revocation and expensive fines. So, if you plan on celebrating at Grovetoberfest and Miami’s other beer festivals, make sure you plan safe exit strategy.
Avoid Getting a DUI by Using Alternate Transportation
If you plan on drinking at any of Miami’s October beer festivals, consider these alternatives to driving yourself:
- Walking. If you live close enough to your drinking destination, consider walking there. It is by far the least expensive alternative on this list.
- Public Transportation. Using Miami’s public transportation system can be an economically sound means of getting to your beer festival. Many of the city’s trolley services, such as the Miami Trolley, are free and extend their operation schedule for special events. Miami has a free ridesharing service called Freebee that operates similarly to Uber and Lyft.
- Ridesharing Services. Uber and Lyft are the most popular alternatives to driving yourself for the night. You can usually find a ride during afterhours, especially for special events. Users pay a fare which is calculated by distance traveled or time spent. Pricing is higher during peak hours.
- Taxis. Taxi services can be scheduled to pick you up from about any location to take you to any destination. Taxis usually charge a fare based on distance traveled or time spent.
- Designated Drivers. If you have a friend who doesn’t drink alcohol, ask them to drive you and your other friends who plan on drinking. If you can’t find a friend who is willing to stay sober, there are designated driver services available through mobile apps:
- RedCap is a personal driver service you can use to reserve a roundtrip car ride to and from your event. Pricing options include a monthly membership or an hourly rate.
- Dryver Driving Services (formerly Be My DD) is another personal driver/pickup service that can drive you home in your own vehicle. Personal driver services involve an hourly fee, while pickup services are based on a flat fee plus mileage fees.
Charged with a DUI? Get an Experienced DUI Attorney.
DUI charges can be very severe. Therefore, you should consult with skilled lawyers who are knowledgeable and experienced with Florida DUI laws. Here at Mitchell & West, LLC our team of top-tier Miami DUI defense attorneys will fight to preserve your rights to achieve the best outcome for your case.
You can contact us online, or call us at (305) 783-3301 for a free consultation about your legal options.