A misdemeanor might not seem like a big deal, but it is a crime that can result in jail time and big fines and eventually turn into a felony, if you repeat an offense. So while you might not think you need legal guidance now, here is what an attorney can do for you in regards to a misdemeanor charge:
- Avoid jail time: Any time you are charged with a crime, there’s the chance of incarceration if you are convicted. An attorney can represent you in court and help you avoid these charges or at least plea to a better deal.
- Avoid a record: A criminal record, even with just a misdemeanor, can affect your ability to get into a university, apply for a job, and rent or buy a home. Hiring a lawyer will improve your chances of avoiding a criminal record.
- Avoid harsher punishments because of priors: Those who already have a criminal record could be looking at more severe punishments and jail time, even for a misdemeanor. A lawyer will give you the best chance of avoiding harsher punishments.
- Prove your innocence: If you’re being charged for a crime you did not commit, the charge will stand until you are proven innocent. While you can defend yourself, an attorney can help you communicate effectively and prove your innocence.
- Negotiate a deal: If you’re going to plead guilty, you’ll want a lawyer to help you negotiate a deal with possible reduced charges and sentences.
If you have been arrested for a misdemeanor, it is crucial that you secure the legal services of Mitchell & West LLC. Our Miami criminal defense attorneys understand that your situation is unique and we can provide a personalized service to fully defend your rights.
Call (305) 783-3301 or contact us online to schedule a consultation today!