Skip to Content
Mitchell & West, LLC Mitchell & West, LLC
Call Today For Personalized Legal Solutions 305-783-3301

Protecting Your Rights Through a Personalized Approach

Learn More About Mitchell & West

If your spouse is behind on alimony payments, is consistently late, or fails to pay them in full, you might need to return to court to have the order enforced. Understandably, this is undoubtedly frustrating. However, the court provides several effective methods to ensure a former spouse complies with the court order, even if by force. We will review some of those methods in this blog, so continue to read to learn more about them.

Collecting Unpaid Alimony

If you decide to move forward with legal action, you will need to prepare evidence that shows your ex-spouse failed to make alimony payments and explain how these actions resulted in financial difficulty. If your former spouse continues to disobey the court order, he or she will likely be in contempt of court, which could result in fines and jail time.

In addition to these punishments, your former spouse’s income might also be withheld. Instead of being deposited into your ex’s bank account, a portion would go directly to you to ensure you receive the alimony payments you are owed. If your spouse is self-employed, however, this method would not work. Instead, you could the court to set up a trust account. If you do not receive your payments on time, you can access the trust account to withdraw what you are owed. If your spouse chooses to be unemployed because he or she is trying to evade alimony payments, you can ask the court to order your spouse to find work.

If the amount your former spouse owes became rather substantial, you can request the court to issue a money judgment against your spouse for the overdue amount, with interest. You might also be reimbursed for any legal fees you incurred in your efforts to enforce the spousal support order.

Schedule a Consultation with an Experienced Family Law Attorney Today!

If your spouse is behind on alimony payments, you need to obtain skilled legal guidance to ensure you receive the amount you are owed. Alimony is designed to help you maintain your standard of living in the aftermath of a divorce. If you were not the primary wage earner in your marriage, getting by without these payments is likely a major hardship for you. Turn to the team at Mitchell & West LLC for the exceptional legal representation that can make a difference in your life. Our team has over a century’s worth of combined legal experience, which we will use to your advantage. Let our team help you achieve your goals.

Get started on your case by contacting our law office today at (305) 783-3301 to arrange a consultation with one of our knowledgeable and trust family law attorneys. Our staff is also fluent in Spanish!

Share To: