Being involved in a car accident is a stressful and emotionally traumatic experience. Many people are unsure of what to do next, and our firm wants you to be informed of steps you can take to protect your personal injury claim.
If you are involved in a car accident, it is important to stay calm and to do the following:
- Check for injuries. The first thing to do after an accident is to check yourself and your passengers for injuries. You should call 911 or have someone else call 911, and try to give precise details of your location. Furthermore, if the vehicle is in an intersection or is blocking traffic, you should move it to the side of the road or to a parking lot. However, if you are injured, or if the vehicle is damaged, it is important to stay where you are and wait for emergency responders to arrive.
- Exchange information. If you’ve been in an accident, it is important to exchange information with the other driver. This includes your name, the name of your insurance provider, and your policy number. Furthermore, you should get the contact information and driver’s license number of the other driver, if possible.
- Seek medical attention. If you are seriously injured, you need to wait for medical personnel to treat your injuries and take you to the hospital. However, even if you feel fine, it is still important to make an appointment to see your doctor. Some injuries, such as whiplash, muscle sprains, traumatic brain injuries, and internal organ damage, may not exhibit symptoms right away. This means you could be injured without even realizing it. By seeing a doctor, you can receive the medical attention you need, and use your medical records as evidence to prove the extent and nature of your injuries to the insurance company.
- Gather evidence. This is an important step to building your personal injury case. You need to take pictures of all the vehicle damage, request a copy of the police report, and get the names and contact information of any witnesses. Furthermore, you should write down everything you can remember about the accident, including the order of events, time of day, and other factors. You also need to request a copy of your medical records.
- Call our experienced personal injury attorneys. After a car accident, it is important to file a claim to seek financial relief. Medical bills can quickly pile up, and you may be unable to work for weeks, months, or even years, depending on the severity of your injuries. It is important to seek compensation and to hold negligent or reckless drivers accountable. Our legal team will gather evidence, build your case, and walk you through the process as you seek the compensation you need to heal and move forward.
Injured in a Car Wreck? Mitchell & West LLC Is Here to Help.
At Mitchell & West LLC, we are passionate about protecting the rights and interests of our clients. If you have been injured by a reckless or negligent driver, you have the right to pursue justice in a personal injury lawsuit. Our firm has guided countless clients to successful outcomes. We will aggressively fight on your behalf as you seek the compensation you deserve from those responsible.
Ready to schedule an initial consultation? Our Miami car accident lawyers are just a phone call away - (305) 783-3301.